The Schools for Advanced Studies (SAS) are programs designed throughout LAUSD to improve the development and education of gifted and talented students. These schools receive funding from LAUSD to provide professional development and resources to teachers, articulated programs for gifted students, and additional resources for parents of gifted students.
Palms is one of nine middle schools in LAUSD Local District West participating in the Schools for Advanced Studies program (see list of SAS schools).
Unlike the Magnet program, acceptance to an SAS does not include transportation to/from school, even if you are miles from the campus.
Who Qualifies for SAS?
Students are eligible to apply for a transfer from their school of residence to a School for Advanced Studies under three circumstances:
- If their school of residence verifies that they have demonstrated the ability or strong potential to work two years above grade level in academic subjects, and that they have demonstrated ability in four critical-thinking and problem-solving skills in their primary language:
- Explain meanings or relationships among facts, information or concepts that demonstrate depth and complexity.
- Formulate new ideas or solutions and elaborate on the information.
- Use alternative methods in approaching new or unfamiliar mathematical problems.
- Use extensive vocabulary easily and accurately to express creative ideas.
- If they score in the "Exceeds Standards" range on the SBAC assessment or have TOTAL national scores of 85% or above on an LAUSD-approved standardized achievement test.
- If they have been identified as gifted/talented by an LAUSD school psychologist in the Intellectual, High Achievement, Specific Academic, Creative, or Leadership Ability Categories.
For details, see the SAS Student Permit Application and Criteria page.
Who Needs to Apply
Students who live in the Palms Middle School attendance boundaries do not need to fill out an application. Honors/Gifted students will automatically be placed in the SAS/Honors classes.
If you are not sure if you are in the Palms attendance area, check with your child's elementary school. You can also check it yourself by typing your home address into the LAUSD Resident School Identifier to see if Palms is your home school.
Other SAS details, including application information and dates, can be found at the LAUSD GATE website.