Palms Middle School is three schools in one, sharing the campus, facilities, and educational programs:
- The Palms home school, for students in the Palms attendance area
- The Palms Gifted/High Ability Magnet School
- The Palms School for Advanced Studies (April and May is the application period for the following Fall)
Qualifying home school students are selected for the Honors program, which is academically equivalent to the Magnet Program.
Basic enrollment requirements, rules, and policies are set by the school disctrict. Enrollment procedures are outlined below.
Magnet Application Details
The Choices brochure
You will not be mailed a Choices brochure. Instead, you will be able to submit your application to the Magnet Program through an online process.
For those families who do not have online access, a limited number of paper copies of the brochure will be available at schools, local libraries, and LAUSD offices. Palms parents may use the computers in the Parents room here at Palms next to the library to submit their application.
Who should apply:
- Families with elementary school students who want to apply to the magnet program, whether or not they are in a magnet elementary school
- Families with students in charter schools who want to apply to the magnet program
- Families with students in private schools who want to apply to the magnet program
- Families with current non-magnet Palms students who want to apply to the Palms magnet program
- Families with 8th grade students who want to apply to magnet high school programs
Note: Current 6th and 7th grade students in the Palms Magnet do not have to apply in order to stay in the Palms Magnet for 7th and 8th grade.
When to apply
The application period is usually from October through November. We post news when we know the exact dates.
How to apply
Note: In order to apply online you will need to set up an account on the LAUSD Parent Access website. In order to set up an account you will need to make sure the LAUSD school your child is currently attending has your current email address and current emergency contact phone number on file. If you have not turned in that information to the school, you will NOT be able to sign up for an account. Once the school has ensured this information is up to date in their systems (it will take 24 hours once the school submits it), you will be able to self-register for an account on this website. You will then be sent a link to get started. Start this process today to ensure you will have your account ready in time. Do not wait.
Other information can be found on the LAUSD eChoices page.