Any Palms student may take music classes as electives, including beginners who have never sung or played an instrument before, those with some experience, and those who take outside lessons.
Parents and students are treated to many musical concerts during the school year, from the Pops Concert in October to the Instrumental Spring Concert and Choral Spring Concert in May.
Chorus is the vocal music program at Palms. Three classes are offered:
|Da Capo Choir||Beginning Chorus||6th grade||for students who are new to chorus|
|Con Brio Chorus||Beginning Chorus||7th and 8th grade||for students who are new to chorus|
|Vivoce Singers||Advanced Chorus||7th and 8th grade||for students who have taken Beginning Chorus|
In some years there is also a Vocal Ensemble.
All Chorus classes gain experience in unison and in two-part singing. The Advanced Chorus also does 3-part or 4-part singing. Every Chorus student gets the experience of singing harmony, as well as melody, during the school year.
Playing music can be challenging, enjoyable, and exciting for students, as they learn to read music, use proper hand positions and embouchures (mouth positions), be part of an ensemble, and express themselves through music.
Palms is proud of its many musical success stories, including Palms graduates who have been accepted at Julliard and given a Best New L.A. Jazz Musician award!
Palms has four instrumental music classes: Winds & Percussion, Band, Strings, and Orchestra. Some students bring their own instruments, and some borrow school instruments that are shared between class periods. Wind players always get individual mouthpieces,
Instrumental music is taught by Julie West, who received the
- 2009 Don Schmeer-Byron Hoyt Band Educator Award, given annually to an exemplary instrumental music educator by the California Association for Music Education
- 2011 Outstanding School String Teacher Award from the Los Angeles chapter of the American String Teachers Association
- 2011 Music Educator Award from Education Through Music - Los Angeles, at their 6th Annual Benefit Gala
- 2012 Outstanding Music Educator Award from the California Association for Music Education Southern Section (February 17, 2012).
- 2013 Veteran Teacher Award from the Southern California School Band and Orchestra Association (January 26, 2013).
See also: Jazz Band (an after-school class)