Your involvement at Palms helps your own children and the children of other parents too.
Every parent should plan to volunteer their help in some way during the school year.
To volunteer you can:
- Speak up at a Friends of Palms/PTSA meeting
- Fill out the online Parent Volunteer Form
- Email email@example.com
2016-2017 Volunteer Coordinator: Stacey Short
See the Parent Volunteer Form for descriptions of committee positions, events, and ongoing volunteer activities. To volunteer, submit the form or contact Friends of Palms. The volunteer positions in bold are quite important and we hope to fill them soon.
Officer and board positions open:
- PTSA Vice President, Membership
- Friends of Palms and PTSA Secretary
- Friends of Palms and PTSA Auditor
Chairpersons or co-chairpersons needed:
- Beautification Chair
- Drop-Off Lane Coordinator/Operations
- Grant Writing Chair
- Palms Gear Chair
- Translators Chair
Additional volunteers are usually needed for these events or ongoing programs:
Volunteers Needed for Morning Drop-Off Lanes
The morning Drop-Off Lanes on Woodbine Street and Palms Blvd. keep the process organized and improves safety for students arriving at school.
We have some volunteers but need more parents willing to help 7:30-8:00am one morning a week. Participating parents will receive LAUSD training.
To volunteer contact Friends of Palms.
2016-2017 Drop-Off Lanes Coordinator: open position -- please volunteer
Volunteers Needed for Lunchtime Supervision
Helping supervise students during lunch period gives parents a chance to enjoy the campus atmosphere and see the students during one of their daily routines. During lunch supervision you will help keep everyone safe, and demonstrate parent involvement in your child's school.
How it works:
- Parents come to campus whichever day(s) of the week they like, during lunch period.
- Parents are teamed with counselors to supervise the central quad, cafeteria, etc.
- Supervision takes place every school day, even on rainy days.
- It's helpful if you are consistent about the days you supervise from week to week. We are still glad to have your help even if it's not every week.
- It's helpful if you keep our Supervision Chair up-to-date about your availability.
The sign-up process, which you must do each school year:
- A Volunteer Application form and a valid TB test are required. Submit both to Ms. Ruby Gold in the Main Office. These forms will be transferred to LAUSD for further processing, so LAUSD can issue you an annual Volunteer badge, valid for that school year.
- Fill out a Volunteer Application. The required information on the form: your name, contact information, date of birth, and emergency contact. You may disregard other parts of the form (such as employment information).
- A TB test is valid for up to 4 years. You may submit your valid TB clearance or see the Volunteer Application page for information about getting a free TB test.
- Ms. Gold will schedule for you a brief orientation meeting with Principal Dr. Moriuchi and you will be teamed with a counselor.
- You may start volunteering as soon as Ms. Gold gives you the OK, but you must sign into the Visitor Log and get a yellow Visitor sticker each day that you are on campus.
- Once LAUSD processes your application, you'll receive a Volunteer badge (by mail). Wear it when you are on campus. With the badge you no longer need the yellow Visitor sticker but you still must record your visit in the Visitor Log.
2016-2017 Supervision Chair: Nirit Brand
Volunteers Needed for Visitor Days
On Palms Visitors Days, prospective Palms families, typically 4th or 5th grade parents, take a 75 to 90-minute tour of Palms, led by a student from Leadership and accompanied by parent volunteers. We can almost always use more parent volunteers.
It's fun and easy. You don't have to know everything about Palms. You already know the answers to the types of questions that other parents typical ask.
- Why did your family choose Palms?
- What elementary school did your child attend?
- Has your child had an easy time with the transition, making new friends?
- What elective did your child choose?
- Is there a lot of homework? Is your child able to handle it?
We especially welcome 6th grade parents as volunteers since they made the middle school transition themselves only a year ago.
You are welcome to contact the Visitor Day chair(s) for information about being a Visitor Day parent volunteer (read how to Contact Friends of Palms), but no registration is required. Just show up in the Auditorium at 8:30 to 8:45 on any Visitors Day to join one of the tours at 9:00am.
2016-2017 Visitors Days Chair: Gail Torr